The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Junk mail

The Poetry Society sent me a reminder to renew my subscription, so that I don't miss out on all that is pretentious and superfluous on the UK poetry scene. Requiring a PhD in miscellany, and a boredom threshold too high for humankind to attain at this point in time, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour, so filed it in the bin.

I also received an invite from Forward Press, inviting me and doubtless other self-deluded scribblers, to join them in celebrating their 15th birthday by sending in my best poem, with a chance of it getting published in a birthday special. I don't know about you, but I have just been seized by the urge to headbutt the Reading to Paddington express train in the area of Maidenhead, which is a station it goes straight through without stopping. Rather that than letting them get hold of any of my work again.

Thinking about: a drinking session between psychiatrists, philosophers and neurologists. You know - Freud, Lang, Jung, Betrand Russell, Oliver Sacks. With absinth.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freud would bring his mother, dampening the whole thing.
Lang would get ticked off when he realised they'd actually meant to invite Fritz Lang
and spend the rest of the night muttering darkly about "bunkum-psychiatry."
Jung would get frozen out for trying to make them talk about the new Star Wars film.
Russell would start a well meaning discussion about Iran's nuclear capability but after
a couple of drinks would try to pull the barmaids moaning that "my wife dusn't unnerstan me".
Sacks would diagnose Jung as having agnosia. Jung would continue to insist "No, I really can see a huge prick. Right in front of me."

1:33 pm

 
Blogger Woz said...

You mean you were there? Bastard! Why wasn't I invited? Oh yes, in my dash to the library t learn about agnosia, I put on my hat, only to be told later I had my head up the arse of Fritz Perls. He remonstrated, but I said he was merely experiencing the here and now.

He later climbed off.

7:44 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Lacan wasn't there. Would've spent the whole night staring at his reflection in the mirror over the bar...

3:47 pm

 
Blogger Woz said...

Sure, but Wlliam James would have acused everyone's male son of being a thief. Could be the start of the 'King Herod complex'

12:33 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home