The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Contingency plans...

The birthday weekend went awry, with our flight to Vienna on Friday night cancelled. No matter, for in good company, you will always have fun.

The iPod Perv and I went to Saffrons in Farnborough, taking on much needed fuel, followed by several pints of 'Comfortably Numb' by the Triple FFF brewery at the Prince of Wales (with cute barmaid from Warsaw). While I was chatty, lucid and in good humour, I was surprised to discover that I had no control over my legs. When we met up with the Cistern Kid at closing time, I had become reincarnated as a pinball, bouncing off fences, bushes, shrubbery, at one point spinning between parked cars - all while chatting normally. It was a feeling I had not experienced since I was 17yo - with the same two companions. Thanks to the Cistern Kid for steering me.

Saturday was welcomed with a wonderful cooked breakfast courtesy of the iPod Perv - and a repeat visit to the Prince of Wales (no more 'Comfortably Numb' - we finished it the night before). Lacking firm plan, we decided to head on into Oxford for the day. We made a beeline for the Ashmolean Museum, by way of a couple of ale houses, weaving through masses of coach-chasing jailbait.

The Ashmolean deserves another visit - by train (parking is a bitch).

Oh, and I acquired rather a lot of vinyl. I felt like 'Jasper the Vinyl Junkie', given the amount of rare funk I picked up. Kudos to Avid Records. I can't wait to spin and shake.

The evening finished up with dinner at Smollensky's. I pity the poor magician who was a) asked to prove his magician skills by making a persons appendage bigger, b) referred to as 'paedo boy', c) introduced to a diner called 'King Zog of Albania', and d) asked to confirm with proof that he had indeed passed through puberty. I just can't behave myself, even when sober.

All topped off with a good old sing-song of that club classic from our college days, the Fatback Band's 'I Found Lovin'.

Thanks to the Cistern Kid & the iPod Perv for making it a great weekend. Roll on Krakow in October.

I know this post is rambling, and I have omitted a lot of detail, but then, it is my blog.

Cheers m'dears, Fearless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home