The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Should I be angry or depressed?

Amidst my personal development planning today (which leads to confronting some uncomfortable tiny truths about myself), I made time to read the latest quarterly newsletter from Medicins Sans Frontieres that came in this morning's post:

'The river flows dirty and turbid. Every time I travel on it, I imagine it's even dirtier underneath because of all the bodies that were thrown into it during the big massacres of 2002 when groups were fighting for control of the waterways. But the river does not see, hear or say anything. It flows in silence as we advance against the current.'

Victor Garcia, head of an MSF team in Catatumbo, Columbia

I am also looking at a picture drawn by a Columbian child, which features corpses in a long boat and on the bank, figures on bended knees, pleading for their lives in front of a gun man. How do you pick out a fear so deeply rooted that it becomes a part of your identity?

'I feel caught between a crocodile and a snake'

A Rohingya (muslim minority) refugee in Bangladesh, seen as an unwelcome economic migrant, having fleed Myanmar, where he is denied citizenship (and presumably, health care, education, a job, a home and food).

I think it's better to be angry, and channel it into something useful. Nobody should live like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home