The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Thursday, September 27, 2007

'Of People and Parasites'

There we were, promenading along The Bund.
And there he was alongside me, crouching, hopping,
squirting white sticky stuff over my boots,
attempting a wipe-steady action
while my heels accelerated.
Chuckling, I fled the scene by taxi,
comforting my distressed leather with a Kleenex.

But -
any vestigial humour was outgunned by a bare-knuckle economic imperative.
Here was no entrepreneur, farmer, builder or teacher;
but his needs were no less vital in that vacuum of outgoing -
rent, healthcare, education and nourishment.
His dreams of a better future encapsulated
within a solitary tube of liquid shoe polish,

clinging to me, my revenue potential, to hope itself,
the last rung on the ladder before falling into -
well, what is lower than this?

But lower than a cockroach,
as only the self-satisfied and self-obsessed are,
I shrugged him off like a fly.


Wondering why, The Bund, Shanghai, January 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home