The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Longest Day...

But hey, that was yesterday.

What a week. Iran elected a hardliner (in that he was harder than Hashemi 'The Shark' Rafsanjani) as president. Was Rafsanjani seen as too close to the West? Although he actually isn't close to the west at all, all serious journals in the West quoted him as a moderate (he isn't, although his daughter is a womens rights campaigner), and as a man they could do business with (they can't really). Western acceptance was one kiss of death for his chances, as well as alleged 'voting irregularities'. Mind you, it could be because the victor, Ahmadinejad, is seen as a champion of the poor, while many Iranians regarded Rafsanjani's last tenure as one of corruption. But hey, the Supreme leader Khamenei is the one who wields power in any case, and he is apparently elected by God (if you believe that, I have a bridge I want to sell you).

It is probably all of the above. Demographics will eventually herald a change, with the majority of the population born after the 1979 revolution. It will be messy.

So don't expect understanding from the West. Preacher Billy Graham has given his last rally, and his ministry will be taken over by his son, who referred to Islam as an 'evil religion'. Arse. All religions are evil, wonderful and stutteringly ambivalent - just depends on what day of the week it is.

Meanwhile, prominent anti-Syrian Lebanese figures keep getting blown up in their cars. Either President Emile Lahoud should get out, or someone should withdraw these terrible exploding cars from the market (are they Ford Pintos?).

Bigots of all stripes can go and fuck their luck. Literally. I can provide diagrams.

Kate Griffin and Gary McKeone at the Arts Council read the submission, and told me that many of the issues raised will be investigated in the next phase of research. Lets see if it makes any difference in the next 3-5 years (I am tarred with the cynicism of having worked with Government agencies before).

Mind you, whatever happens, I am glad I wrote it. Trying to change things is far, far better than pointing at something and bitching about it. Thanks also to Stef for having a read and giving me his feedback.

Anyhow, I now have to do my ironing and packing, then scoot off to Peter Newman's L'ortolan for JB & Ro's joint 40th bash this evening. I haven't seen Peter Newman since we were both seconded onto Reading University's think tank on entrepreneurship, setup by the commuting 'H' (mind you, I think the Dresdner Kleinwort guy in the group was 'out to lunch').

I fly off to Tokyo tomorrow, and by a quirk of fate, I get Monday to myself. I've decided to get a Nikon Coolpix S1 (in black) to complement my Olympus C-765UZ. One of my colleagues at work has asked me to get him this (no, I am not making this stuff up). He wants it in all three colours. What am I, f*&kin' Santa? I'll get him this instead. He can wear them around the office for me and bend over and show me his homework.

Still, it will be a week of bliss, as my mobile phone won't work out there (Japan does not use GSM, so my tri-band handset is useless). Alas, work has provided me with a J-Phone handset, and the hotel has broadband. Bastards.

A luta continua, so I will do what I must.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne Marie said...

Love your editorial. Enjoy your free day in Tokyo, etc!

5:59 pm

 
Blogger Woz said...

Thanks Ani.

8:26 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home