The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Plantain burgers

Firstly, a hello to Alexandra and Kim, first-time visitors to the UK from Australia. Pity them for having the poor luck to meet me on only their 2nd day here, and scold them for asking me what to do around town. My apologies to them for the impromptu poetry recital. Yes, i'll write you both a poem...

Anyway, 'iPod Perv' and I went to see Elmina's Kitchen at the Garrick Theatre yesterday. Crisply written, with especially coruscating performances from the writer Kwame Kwei-Armah and Don Warrington. The characterisations were superb, reminding me both of the characters I grew up with off the Oxford Road in Reading - and old friends Griff, Lewis, 'Craven', 'Fresh', 'Feisty', 'Partial' and 'Peanut'. I have ordered the play script, mainly for the Calypso lyrics.

But why are there so few black writers? I'm sure they exist and I am doubly sure that they write very well.

What's the missing link?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

7 friends OR the 7 alternative and apparently more streetwise 7 dwarves... ?

5:22 pm

 
Blogger Woz said...

...more like the Seven Sinful Suckas, given the stupidity-in-motion they wreaked and the dread they reaped. We were the first bunch of blacks and browns to enter a particular college, and that alone polarised 'the others'. When you're young, you can't help but confront and confound all those staring eyes.

Thanks for commenting.

8:01 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home