The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Kabuki Kid

On Friday I managed to catch one of twelve performances given at Sadler's Wells by Ichikawa Ebizo. Previously, the closest I had come to the Kabuki art form was through cinema - Kon Ichikawa's 'An Actor's Revenge' or tangentially, through the opening scene of Kitano 'Beat' Takeshi's beautiful poem to never-ending love, 'Dolls'. But it was a struggle to stay awake for the first half as I had averaged 4 hours sleep per night for the previous three nights, thanks to the London conference - my presentation was in one of the final slots, and I then sat in on the panel session for a Q & A. Did I go 'off message'? Yes, in that I ad libbed - very bluntly - to get a couple of key points across to the audience. Funny response - some simply looked stunned, and several came up to me to shake my hand afterwards. For a split second, it was just like being back at The Chilli.

A hearty congrats to Mia for getting on that hypnotherapy course & a happy birthday to my eldest nephew Amir, who has turned 20. Gosh, I remember changing his nappies.

Image in memory: voluptuous redhead in Cafe Med on Friday evening, and the blonde waitress with a smile to die for at Stockpot in Soho yesterday. Dimples!

Listening to: £200 worth of CDs (Congotronics, Trojan reggae, Saoud Massi, Cat Stevens, Bonga, etc, etc), vinyl (orange - collectors platter) and DVD (Gil-Scott Heron & Astor Piazolla)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home