The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Monday, May 29, 2006

The Novel - profiled in The Observer

I read this on Sunday and it made me cringe, laugh, then cringe some more. Literature is like music - you can talk about genres, etc, but essentially, there is only good stuff and bad stuff - and that's subjective, and will vary from one individual to another. The only thing that concerns me is how many young Asian writers are expected to write about 'being Asian'. Pigeonholing is insulting.

Films I need to catch very soon at the flicks:

  • 'Friends with Money'
  • 'Brick'
  • '36'
  • 'Volver'
  • and more that I can't remember

Women I love this week:

  • Sally Hawkins
  • Zadie Smith
  • Saoud Massi

Music:

  • Nancy Wallace and her inspired folk-cover of Candi Staton's soul-disco classic 'Young Hearts Run Free' (a song that connects my sister, brother and I together)
  • Candie Payne (on the Deltasonic label)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home