The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Things to do in Tokyo

Aha! A number of nifty suggestions from Da Bomb, currently glued to the ceiling, thanks to her fasting regimen:

'Well Mr. Fearless Tokyo is my favourite place in the world (after Italy) and I could suggest lots of interesting things to do. I imagine you'll be living it up in Tokyo's many fabulous bars or slurping noodle soup in a noodle bar (if you don't slurp its offensive!) maybe strolling through Yogi Park looking at the crazy kids on a Sunday morning (do it, you'll understand) or eating raw blow fish and risking death! But my favourite times when I went were spent in the peaceful surrounds of Buddhist temples. So why don't you go all out and do a fast! (I'm on Day 5 of a 14 day water fast and am quite high as a result so you may not want to listen to me!) It is an amazing experience and coupled with a good deal of meditation I can assure you its better than acid! Maybe listen to some Ramdass, mediate in the hills to the sweet sounds of some Shakuhaci music, wear orange and shave your head (OK you did that already didn't you?). If that doesn't sound like fun, take in a Takarazuka show - basically a group of female actors where some of them play male roles and live their lives as men on stage and off, who many young Japanese girls have huge crushes on. The male impersonators are the biggest stars and play roles of romantic, ideal Westernised men. If it all sounds a bit Tipping the Velvet you're not far off! And my Japanese friends think 'Lost in Translation' was far out in terms of culture shock!'

Of course, I have tried to keep quiet about my past jaunts to Japan, during 1997-2000, which involved my nipple being twisted, my leg being humped and being detained by the police - I am glad I kept it a secret.

Send Kabuki LadyBoys and Scarlett Johansson lookalikes to Fearless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home