The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm back...

...and it's not working for me. Within 24 hours of landing I had flu symptoms. I can't work, study or rest. Damned frustrating. I'm not used to doing nothing! Also means I miss catching Rodchenko at the Hayward today, for which I have a ticket.

Interesting story about the terror of the IDF in today's Independent, as well as a letter by Slavoj Zizek in the current issue of the LRB* (scroll down), that provides, ummmm, just one perspective on Tibet and the wider world.

Books read: 'Jaguars & Electric Eels' by Alexander von Humboldt and 'I Love Dollars' by Zhu Wen

Next on the list to read (after studies): 'Flat Earth News' by Nick Davies (reviewed here)

Listening to: Mark Lamarr's 'God's Jukebox' on BBC R2, Small Faces and McKinley Jackson & the Politicians

* Zizek states:

"It is a fact that China has made large investments in Tibet’s economic development, as well as its infrastructure, education and health services. To put it bluntly: in spite of China’s undeniable oppression of the country, the average Tibetan has never had such a high standard of living. There is worse poverty in China’s western rural provinces: child slave labour in brick factories, abominable conditions in prisons, and so on."

However, across China & Tibet, health care must be paid for. I believe that higher education is no longer free. I disagree with his contention that Tibet is better off than China's rural West - I would at least suggest that both he and I cannot be sure one way or the other. I'm not sure about this, but China's legal system conducts all hearings in Chinese - so if you're in a case being heard in Tibet, your Mandarin/Putonghua better be up to scratch.

Now, while ethnic Han Chinese have internally migrated (infrastructure projects such as the Qinghai - Xizang railway will bring Han Chinese and tourists, diluting Tibetan culture, goes the complaint, although I wonder how many Tibetans will travel in the other direction seeking their fortune), bringing their entrepreneurial, venturing spirit, and ultimately generating cash, how much of that cash actually stays in Tibet?

What about the situation in the Western province of Xinjiang?

Would this be different had Wu Jinghua (a Yi, not a Han), Hu Yaobang and Zhao Ziyang been around longer?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home