The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

System dynamics

It might be useful if someone applies system theory to binge drinking. It was a phenomenon before the new licensing laws, and I am not sure what effect the legislation has had.

The soundbites across the TV/radio noisewaves introduce uncertainty in my mind, e.g. only a small proportion of establishments are open 24 hours (besides, that may be a red herring, as there are few able or dumb enough to drink for 24 hours), and police are dealing with disturbances later than before (time-shifting). The wide availability of cheap alcohol is certainly one factor. I have heard a number of commentators use the excuse that as a Northern culture, we have a tradition of drinking more - what? Even our youngsters?

Then there is discussion of a desired Southern European 'cafe culture'. But are our cousins seeing an emergence of binge drinking? Worth checking.

What is driving the growth of binge drinking in certain segments of the population, and why do they wanna be oblivion folk?

Ever had the feeling you're being watched? I have never been internet stalked before (and I don't mean this blog with a sum total of two or three viewers)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is driving me to binge drink !

7:46 am

 
Blogger Woz said...

Go for it. One of my friends has shares in JD Wetherspoon. You'd be doing him a favour.

8:11 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn;t read this blog in public, so will rule out wetherspoons, mind you most of their clientele are like you and can't read and write!

7:37 am

 
Blogger Woz said...

No, but I can type.

7:42 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home