The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Saturday, July 30, 2005

A short poem

'The Boy that Cried Fire'

Adrift in an embrace
masking tear-stained face,
he mourns with pearls of ember.

Lamenting the love he can't replace,
he seeks a solitary space,
for the heart is a lonely hunter.

28th July 2005, 18:30 from Paddington to Reading

I may extend it - 'Da Bomb' thinks I should, and she's usually right about these things. It's a poem based on a feeling long since past, and to extend it successfully, I would have to be enveloped by the same shade of indigo, which I no longer am. We'll see.

Listening to: Ella Fitzgerald 'Mack the Knife' (the legendary 1960 Berlin performance where she forgot the words to Kurt Weill's classic song and improvised).

Thinking about: cks & a, as well as section 44 of the Terrorism Act (thanks to the folks at Tabard Street).

Doing: not a lot, but I think i'll haul ass and write some stuff.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patry Francis said...

Any day that includes listening to Ella has got to be an amazing day. That's a rule or something. Meanwhile, I think I'll take your example and haul ass and write something.

7:50 pm

 
Blogger Woz said...

The challenge is what to follow Ella with - Nancy Wilson, Sarah Vaughan, Luiz Bonfa, or...listen to the CD that came with the June/July issue of The Believer magazine?

Then again, perhaps i'll play some Miles...'Kind of Blue'.

Write on...

7:57 pm

 
Blogger JR said...

Adrift in an embrace
masking tear-stained face,

WOW! Very visual start to the poem, I was hooked from the first moment!

I like this alot!

-Justin

6:33 pm

 
Blogger Woz said...

Thank you Justin. Sorry it's not longer. I did write another stanza (for the middle) but it seemed too forced, and the two stanzas that you see perfectly articulate the feeling I was getting at.

I'm glad you like it. Hope you don't have to experience it.

7:27 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home