The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Friday, August 10, 2007

Berlin and the Colour Brown

I have to face facts; I am the biggest hit in Berlin since Hitler in April 1945. Just about everyone over the age of 40 appears uncomfortable in my presence. Under 40, it's 50-30-20 between discomfort-indifference-politeness/pleasant surprise. Quite different to my time living in Munich back in 1998.

Berlin museum staff have appeared divided between me being either a) an art thief or b) a terrorist. Other tourists were equally paranoid, with the odd middle-aged bloke pushing out his chest and adopting an aggressive stance as I walked by the Bode Museum.

I love it.

You have to stay in their faces and smile. They have to accept your presence, and maybe, just maybe, they'll ask themselves why they felt so uncomfortable. The answer lies within themselves, not me.

Never deny your destiny. After all, how do you get to where you're going if you deny who you are? Once I accepted who I was and the fact that I didn't fit into any kind of classification, life was much richer and also free of fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home