The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Monday, November 27, 2006

European Cinema

It just rocks. I spent yesterday with the iPOD Perv, and checked out Ognisko, a lovely restaurant in the Polish Club opposite Imperial College. Sadly, there was no Bigos on the menu, but the Barszcz and calve's liver were exquisite. We toddled off towards the Curzon, but stopped to checkout the Twilight photography exhibition. I liked Boris Mikhailov's work.

Anyway, onto the films. 'Pan's Labyrinthe' was stunning. A film that even non World Cinema freaks would enjoy. Sergio Lopez did another fine turn as a Class A bastard.

We couldn't find Nadine's in Greek Street, so made the mistake of settling into Kettners. It had the aura of feeling (to me) like a Buenos Aires steakhouse, where Dr. Mengele's entourage of Nazi scumfucks could walk in at any moment and steal my mustard (quite why they would do that, I don't know, but you get the picture). The service was so-so, the food was fayre from any ole where. It's a large place, and there was plenty of room, but they seated us in a part of the dining area full of shaven-headed male couples, some of whom were earnestly discussing the presence of Barbra Streisand in their record collection, as well as showtunes.

The iPOD Perv blamed me, as I have a shaven head, 'dress a bit gay' (to quote him; I don't think that's true). Yes, I have a Streisand CD in my collection, but it's her dreaded album 'Streisand - and Other Musical Instruments' - which the iPOD Perv got me as a brthday present/humiliation. Ok, I might have some showtunes and soundtracks, but they are more in the vein of 'Porgy & Bess', etc.

The evening was rounded off with a masterclass performance from Sandra Huller in 'Requiem', set in early 1970s Germany, encompassing religion, isolation and epilepsy. I left angry.

Tough week ahead, rounded off with a cottage weekend in Lymington. Will I make it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home