The blog of the traveller, observer and writer, Woz.
Happiness is the man with rhythm. Copyright © 2003-2021, Woz

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Bzzzz!

A great start to the weekend, thanks to my Wahl hair clippers. Yep, I became a DIY shaven raver, and now realise why women swear by their vibrators - the gentle buzzing action on my head was more than pleasant. I always thought that if guys could lick or suck their own bits, they would stay indoors. Decent head clippers are a more realistic alternative for Friday night indoor action - allegedly.

I finally received a copy of 'Mottled Dawn' a collection of short stories concerning the partition of India in 1947, and the violence and chaos that ensued. My parents lived through that, and their tales, and those of Sadaat Hasan Manto's characters, paint the landscape crimson with mortality. The book has long been out of print, and I managed to get a copy of the English translation (the original is in Urdu) from the USA at great expense. Unfortunately, my brother Shak swiped it last night. Manto had a tragic end, heartbroken by the experience of partition, succumbing to both grief and alcohol in 1955. The next Urdu author in my sights is Ismat Chugtai, who wrote the short story 'Lihaf' ('Quilt') in 1941. It concerned a lesbian relationship, and the British colonial authorities, incensed, prosecuted her for obscenity. With a number of witnesses, including her friend Manto, she was able to prove that only people with prior knowledge of lesbianism would understand what the story was about.

And to think that there are those who believe that the people of South Asia are very conservative.

Last night I was priviliged to watch the great Portuguese Fado singer Mariza perform at the Royal Festival Hall. She has the most versatile, powerful voice I have ever heard, and she knows how to work a crowd. At one point, she sang without a mic & amp, relying on her chords, lungs and the acoustics of the hall - mesmerising. One of the best concerts I have ever been to. She's also a fan of Fernando Pessoa - added kudos. I'll also be watching Madredeus at the RFH on the 29th of May - a long overdue date.

Link for today is the boy who caught an aeroplane. You could also try Student of the Warlord, and may notice that Cecil the Redneck has more than a shade of Klaus Kinski to him.

Go make your luck, Fearless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home